Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Okay? Okay!

Okay! So todays post is about the  overused word "Okay"

Yes, its very true. I am finding it really tough even typing this without using the the word :)

When we tell children what we want them to do, and then add an "Okay?" at then end, what are we intending? Well, in my case I think I intend to end the sentence and expect my child to obey me. But does it work? No! in most cases it doesnt. The reason is simple. When we end a sentence with a question mark tone and an "okay" we are seeking permission from the child and giving him a chance to negotiate. When the child negotiates, we get furious. We think we've been really clear about what he was required to do.

So from today onwards or maybe the next minute onwards, I pledge to stop using an "Okay?" after an instruction I want my child to follow without negotiation. Okay? :)


4 comments:

  1. OMG! What an eye-opener? My 15month old has probably only 5-10 words in his vocabulary and guess what - "okay" is one of them! Because I tend to do the same.. "do xxx yyy zz, okayyyyy?" baby: "okay" But right now I don't think he really says it because he understands the word, but I pledge to stop using this word right away! Soon he is going to say "no okay" when he feels like it, right? :-)

    -Divya Saurabh

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just now browsed the eager kids motessori website to learn about your approach for teaching as my daughter is one of your students, when i came across your blog. My husband and I are both guilty of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just now browsed the eager kids motessori website to learn about your approach for teaching as my daughter is one of your students, when i came across your blog. My husband and I are both guilty of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspite of writing this, I myself use the word so often! So guilty here too :)

    ReplyDelete